Careers offer us a million chances across the globe. While other careers offer low remuneration packages, other job packages are awesome. The highest paying job depends on a number of factors from your desired field of profession, security, job satisfaction, add-ons, career scope, etc.
However, choosing a career path can be exhausting physically and mentally. You need to be informed about the entire life cycle of every profession to decide which one you want to go for. You also need to be passionate about the career of your choice, to avoid frequent mental blocks.
Remuneration is one of the vital factors to consider while agreeing to job terms. Being paid for the efforts you put in a marketplace is satisfactory. Rather, your paycheck should be able to reflect your efforts as well as sustain you, appreciating your time.
Generally, high-paying jobs are found in the IT and healthcare industries. however, there are other professions that earn as much as those in these mentioned industries, depending on their businesses. your hard work also accounts for the amount of salary you earn.
In this article, we will talk about 10 of the highest-paying jobs with a detailed analysis of the topic.
Here are some of the top 10 Of The Highest Paying Jobs across the globe
- General Surgeon
- Data Scientist
- Software Developer
- IT Systems Manager
- Investment Banker
- Chartered Accountant
A General Surgeon is someone who specializes in ailing a wide range of health complications. They have exceptional surgical, medical, and operative knowledge. They need to be extremely strong mentally and emotionally to be able to attend to their patients. Their job requires maximum attention.
- Run various tests thoroughly and understand the extent of an illness.
- Determine the need for the surgery and inform the patients about any side effects or issues regarding it.
- Perform surgeries with utmost precision and care.
- Enlighten patient on re and post-surgery treatment and protocols involved.
- Perform all the duties ethically with regard to the dignity of the patient and their family.
As of July 2021, salary.com stipulates that the average salary of a General Surgeon is $404,400 in the U.S. The salary for this position generally ranges between $342,000 and $480,000.
- A degree in medicine of a minimum of 5 years.
- A General Surgery residency of around 5 years.
- Certificate from the American Board Of Medical Specialties.
- Phenomenal communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Quick problem-solving skills.
- Good team-leading capabilities.
- A steady hand and amazing coordination of eye and hand.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 752,400 jobs as of 2019. projections mention that the job projection for a general surgeon is 4%. This is a fast average compared to other jobs. The Employment change, as of 2019-29, is 27,300.
They treat all sorts of dental problems as well as help patients maintain healthy oral hygiene. They perform all methods and surgeries required to clean and maintain teeth and overall mouth cleanliness.
- Planning regular checkups of patients
- Performing consistent clean-ups and other procedures as required to ensure overall dental hygiene.
- Treating mouth and teeth with fillings, root canals, extraction, and other dental procedures.
- Administering anesthesia or sedatives before proceeding to surgeries.
As of 2019, the average salary of a dentist is approximately $155,600 in the United States.
- A degree in dental medicine of 5 years.
- Postgraduate dental training of 1-2 years.
- Attention to detail with a steady hand and active senses.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Great management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of dental procedures and tools.
- Excellent management skills; keeping records of patients.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 151,600 jobs as of 2019 with a 3% job outlook from 2019-29. Also, this is a fast average compared to other careers. The Employment change is 4,000 as of 2019-29.
Chief Executive Officer or more firmly known as CEO is the sole person responsible for the overall performance of a business company or organization. They are responsible for finalizing business deals to making decisions regarding the management of their firms. They have the most and the final authority on all the decisions even if they take advice from someone else within the company.
- Company representative: speaking on the company’s behalf, with business partners, government representatives, shareholders, and the public.
- Make sure the company follows its mission and vision with all authenticity to avoid fraudulent activities.
- Always think along the path of the success of the company and all your decisions should always aim at the same.
- To handle the extreme highs and lows, success and failures of the company.
According to www.salary.com the average salary of a Chief Executive Officer is around $774,299 in the US.
- A bachelor’s degree of around 3-4 years in subjects like economics, business, management, finance, accounting, etc.
- An MBA after a bachelor’s would increase hiring chances.
- Work experience of over 4 years at least.
- Good decision-making skills.
- A thick skin to take the company forward despite your rivals.
- Ability to take risks.
- A positive nature with strong willpower.
- Should be transparent
- Excellent leadership skills.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for CEOs is 6% as of 2014 and 2024 which is as fast as average. The upsurge of companies increases the CEO's job outlook.
A Data Scientist is someone who analyses and understands problems and the goals of organizations they work with and looks for solutions with the help of data models and algorithms. They create models that can predict the solution using data and interpret the same using simpler words for understanding.
- Understand the goals of the company and collect data accordingly.
- Analyze the data using methods like AI, ML, Python, Java, etc.
- Conclude the resulting data into simpler words for the organization to understand the solution.
- Work on project feedback and provide the perfect solution to the stakeholders.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary of a Data Scientist in the US is $100,560.
- Bachelors in computer science, IT, maths or related subjects of around 4 years.
- Masters or Ph.D. in the field of Data Science of around 2-3 years.
- Online courses to learn AI, ML, Java or other tools would be a plus too.
- Practical knowledge of Data Science tools or programming languages like AI, ML, Python, C++, etc.
- The ability to collect, analyze and use data to get effective and realistic solutions.
- Strong willpower with a strong determination to keep working on data till you get results.
- Excellent research skills.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook for Data Scientists is 16% as of 2018-28 which is faster than any other occupation. Since 2012, LinkedIn has recorded a total of 650% growth in the Data Science industry.
A Software Developer is someone that creates, designs, executes, and controls all kinds of software programs. They also interpret which section or region of these programs needs improvement and then customize it accordingly. Currently, the tech industry is fast growing with the innovation and invention of technology.
- Work efficiently with clients and understand their requirements.
- Develop software according to their requirements or improve existing software.
- Suggest changes or modifications that could enhance the prominence of the software.
- Collab with developers to design models, charts, and algorithms.
As of 2019, the average salary of a Software Developer is $107,510 in the United States.
- Earn a bachelor’s in computer science or a related field.
- Go for some projects or internships to get experience.
- Good knowledge of programming languages in practice.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills with expertise in technical stuff.
- Attention to detail with a never-giving-up attitude.
- Management skills as well as being a team player.
According to the BLS, the job outlook of Software Developers is 22% as of 2019-29 which is much faster than most other fields. The Employment change is 316,000 as of 2019-29 with the number of jobs being 1,469,200 as of 2019.
IT Systems Manager
An IT System Manager is someone who understands and analyzes the computer needs of the organization they work with and suggests modifications to consider. They also create, configure, and are in charge of the maintenance of computer software and hardware.
- Checking regularly on the networks and data security.
- Creating and understanding the opportunities for the creation or updating of software and hardware.
- Creating and implementing various policies of IT.
- Working on the best ideas or solutions required to meet the company’s goals.
According to Indeed, the average salary of an IT Systems Manager is around $86,276 per annum in the States.
- Bachelors in IT, computer science, or any related field.
- At least one-year Internship
- Zeal or passion for your work.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Having a good practical knowledge of computers and their domains.
- Management and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail with accuracy to minor things.
- Ability to work under pressure along with being a team player.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for IT Systems Managers is 10% which is faster than average. The number of jobs, as of 2019, is 461,000.
A Physician is someone that aids patients and treats any type of chronic disease. They also suggest to their patients how they can maintain a healthy body and lifestyle. They have various ways of treating the illness.
- Conducting tests and answering the patient’s queries or doubts.
- Examining them and advising on how to treat or prevent the disease.
- Advise their patients on how to maintain a good, healthy, and disease-free lifestyle.
- Creating and suggesting treatment plans to the patients.
- Treating them ethically with whatever the patient needs in order to recover.
As of 2019, the average salary of a Physician is $206,500 in the United States.
- MBBS course in General Medicine of around 5 years.
- Post Graduation (Doctor of Medicine) in General Medicine.
- Clear and strong communication skills.
- Empathy towards patients with an approachable attitude.
- Strong work ethic with accuracy towards everything.
- Attention to detail.
- Emotional Intelligence and Leadership skills.
According to the BLS, the job outlook for Physicians is 4% which is as fast as average. The number of jobs is 752,400 as of 2019. The Employment change is 27,300 as of 2019-29.
An Actor is someone who can depict any type of emotion through their gestures, body movement, and eyes to entertain the audience. They need to convey from the simplest to the most complex characters and emotions through what is called “acting”.
- Convey serious, comic, negative, positive, and all kinds of emotions through gestures and senses.
- The ability to perform any character, simple or complex, good or bad with conviction.
- Memorize your dialogues or monologues perfectly and deliver them with precision.
- Remember to immerse yourself entirely into the character and be none of yourself.
Though the salary of an actor depends on their acting capabilities and stature, the average salary of an actor is $40,860 in the States. The world’s highest-paid actors get around $20-30 million. This can be in terms of a project, yearly, or after a certain amount of shows.
Though there are no mandatory criteria for an actor, there are many great actors with close to no qualifications. But most actors get a bachelor’s in acting, direction, or any related field. Some even learn acting from theatres, acting schools, or workshops while others are naturally talented at acting.
- A creative mind.
- The ability to emote emotions perfectly.
- Confidence and reliability are enough for the audience to trust you.
- Continuous learning with patience.
- Understanding the simplicity or complexity of a character.
- To understand your audience.
- Memorize your lines and deliver them with perfection.
According to the BLS, the job outlook for Actors is 3% which is as fast as average with the number of jobs being 70,100 as of 2019. The employment change is 2,100 as of 2019-29.
An Investment Banker is someone who does several activities related to the company or organization they work with. Their main job is to provide securities in order to increase capital. They do this by providing debt or selling equity in the companies.
- Research and investigate in order to understand the market.
- Create strategies for investment from potential investors.
- Understand the risk involved and advise on the same.
- Create forecasts, models, or reports and manage certifications and licenses.
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of an Investment Banker is around $118,909 in the States.
- Bachelors of Commerce (Hons) or
- Bachelors of Arts in economics, finance, or any related field.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to make quick and tough decisions.
- Social skills with teamwork and leadership skills.
- Commitment and passion towards your work.
- Should possess intellect and discipline.
- Excellent research skills.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for Investment Bankers is 10% as of 2014-24 which is as fast as average.
A Chartered Accountant is someone who is accountable for financial and accounting issues in the name of a business company or organization. They recommend and issue information about financial records as well as increase profitability for their clients. They are among high paying jobs for the unique services they offer.
- Manage all accounting and financial issues, budgets, and systems.
- Recommend what needs to be done to increase financial profit.
- Provide accountancy as well as review the company’s budgets.
- Understand the risk involved and how you can avoid that.
- Prepare monthly and annual reports on finance, accounting, and management.
According to Payscale, the national average salary of a Chartered Accountant is $80000 in the United States.
- IPCC or CA intermediate of around 4-5 years.
- CPT or CA Foundation course of around 4-5 years.
- Articleship which is a training of around 3 years.
- Knowledge and interest in the business.
- A logical approach with IT proficiency.
- Interpersonal and time management skills.
- Problem-solving and communication skills.
- Commitment to the field.
According to the BLS, the job outlook for Chartered Accountants is 6% as of 2018-28 which is as fast as average. The number of jobs is 1,436,100 as of 2019 with an employment change of 61,700 as of 2019-29.
What Is The Reason Behind The Pay Difference In Different Job Profiles?
Different professions offer varied remuneration. As from the list above, there are professionals that earn more than what others can earn. That does not mean other professions are not as prominent or important as them. The difference in high pay could be because of the following reasons :
- These professions might be more in demand than supply. Software Developers and Data Scientists are in huge demand because Software and Data are the future.
- Difficulty to learn or understand the job. Some fields are more complex than others which demands more focus, more hard work, and accordingly provides more pay.
- Job conditions. Some professions have more difficult job conditions than others that demand more physical and mental strength from the employees. The job conditions could be odd timings, life threats or improper food or shelter, etc.
What Are The Factors That Affect Your Remuneration?
An important thing you must know is that the pay won’t necessarily always be the same. It could increase or decrease, rapidly or gradually. Some factors that can affect your pay are as follows :
- Educational Qualifications. Higher education qualifications increase your chances of a well-paying job. most people are currently taking more courses to match the current job requirements.
- Internships or Projects. They give you an outlook of your job. Thus, one can polish their skills adequately before induction to a high-paying job.
- Certifications and Associations. They increase the skills of individuals. Thus, it is easier for one to work on a demanding job, having acquired the correct skills.
- Years of Experience. The more experienced, the higher your job knowledge becomes on a specific career. managers tend to look for experience as they minimize errors and certain costs pertaining to the training of recruits.
- Performance Reviews. Hardworking employees are often compensated highly while lazy workers are dismissed from their jobs.
- The number of people you can manage under you and how you can manage.
What Is Considered To Be A High-Paying Job?
We have seen various professions that pay extremely well. But what income do we consider a “well enough income”?
The average national salary in the United States is $56,310 and the median pay is $20.17 per hour. The stats are issued by the ‘May 2020 National Occupational Employment and Wages Estimates’ from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Factors To Consider Apart From A High Pay
A good enough remuneration is a very important aspect but not the only element. There are various things you should consider apart from high pay. Following are the things you need to look for in a company :
- A positive workplace is something you should necessarily consider. The workplace you will be working in should be positive, helping, and inspiring. A good place always pushes towards good work. You should be able to apply your skills appropriately. Thus, a positive environment is a must.
- Passion. The profession should be something you love along with something that pushes you to learn. It should provide you with opportunities and responsibilities for you to grow forward.
- Motivating surrounding. Your colleagues should be people who motivate you to do better as well as appreciate your efforts and results. They should respect you, your choices, and your work.
- Fun working environment. Your office environment should be equal work and equal fun. It shouldn’t burden you and provide an imbalance in your life. Your office and colleagues should have fun too with things like office tours, fun Fridays, and other team-building activities.
- Job security. One of the most important aspects you should consider is that you have a secure and permanent job. There should not be a threat hanging over you all the time. So job security is a must.
How Can You Land A Job In A High-Paying Profession?
Now that you know some of the highest paying professions, let us discuss how can you land a job in one of them :
- Increase skills and qualifications. You need to increase the list of your skill sets and qualifications. It is an important thing as it helps you gather more and more knowledge which is the key to working in any profession.
- Apply for internships. You should do as many internships or get involved in as many projects or workshops as you can. This will help you gain the practical knowledge of the field you desire for. Along with that, it will help you strengthen your resume.
- Develop your portfolio. Build yourself a page or website for connections and to get noticed. This will help you build a social profile which will eventually lead you to many more opportunities. You will also get to know people or companies in your field and get to learn from them.
- Have career goals. The most important way is to first make up your mind. You need to decide what field you want to enter and research thoroughly about the same. Build your qualification and skillsets for the same.
- Do the extraordinary. Go for something out of the box. You need to eliminate the fear of risk and do something extraordinary. Get out of the flock of sheep and build a non-mediocre career for yourself.
- What are the 3 most important factors to consider in a field? The three most important factors are:
- Growth. Is it personally and professionally growing for me?
- Passion. Do I like doing this and can I grow in this field?
- Salary. Does it pay well enough and is it worth it?
- Why is the list of highest paying professions dominated by the health and IT Industry?
It is because both industries are the future of the world. There is no way the health industry will fade away ever. The same goes for the IT industry as data and software are two things people will need forever.
In this article, we discussed some of the highest paying jobs in the world, their qualifications, salary, job outlooks, and how you can land in one of them. Although the list is dominated by the medical and the IT industry, there are lots of professions that have great pay along with other benefits.
By now, I hope you realize that while great pay is extremely important, there are many factors you should consider. Passion is another vital aspect that will propel you to great pay. Make sure you have a genuine interest in the field and make your decision accordingly to land a high paying job.
Some Of My Favorite Tools
Thank you again for reading my article. Writing this blog takes a lot of time, attention, and effort so I take care in using a very standard set of tools to deliver my blog to you. Maybe you will find these helpful if you have any similar interests along your career path.
Web Hosting: To get started with a website I recommend SiteGround. Their prices are great and they have free backups for my specific plan. (Here is a very good write up about utilizing their hosting platform that explains a lot of the benefits and walks you through the very easy sign up process.)
Outsourcing: I use Fiverr for many different tasks. My life is pretty busy and I try to use my time wisely. I utilize outsourcing services like Fiverr whenever possible to have people do various tasks that I'm just not good at – like graphic design. If interested, here is the person I specifically use to do graphical design for many of my images.
Online Privacy: I work hard and strive to keep confidential business details private. Therefore, I always want to keep my work viewable only by the correct people. One of the ways I protect myself online is by using a VPN and more specifically I personally use NordVPN. I use NordVPN specifically because it's fast, I can use it on any of my devices, and I can chose from any specific location. If you are looking to retain your privacy online, I highly recommend NordVPN to both my friends and family.